I don’t do this for awards, or rewards, but it is nice when someone thinks what you do is worthy of note. I thank galaxyjane for thinking so highly of me. The Leibster Award is for young bloggers with less than 200 followers, that certainly qualifies me (72 followers as of this post). The three requirements on my part are to: answer 10 questions that galaxyjane has come up with; create 10 of my own; and nominate 10 others who have less than 200 followers. That last part may be the hardest, but I will try.
First, to answer galaxyjane’s 10 questions:
- What is your favorite “guilty pleasure” band or musical group? Okay, I am going to show my age, and nerdiness, here, but for me it’s the Carpenters. I really love Karen’s voice, and their unique arrangements.
- Grits or Home Fries? Home fries. Eating grits is like eating sandy applesauce, without the apple taste. Sorry grit fans.
- What is your favorite way to travel? Why? Walk. I have been hiking for over 50 years, and if I could walk everywhere I would. I like being able to look at life as I pass it, rather than passing by so fast that life is just a blur.
- If you were declared Dictator for a Day, what would be the first law you would pass/repeal? Easy, I would repeal the 17th Amendment to the US Constitution. This enables direct election of the Senate, as opposed being appointed by the states. This would remove the Senate from being elected by special interest groups, who seem to have taken over ever aspect of our government. The second thing I would do is turn over Congressional salaries to the people, Congress should not be allowed to dictate its’ own salary and benefits. Where else does the employee determine salary and benefits?
- What book or movie has had the most influence on your personal philosophy and beliefs? Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown. It’s a struggle between commercialism and serenity. It taught me that life is not about what the world wants, but what the individual needs. To quote Spock (different show, but same idea), “After a time, you may find that ‘having’ is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as ‘wanting.’ It is not logical, but it is often true.”
- What is the stupidest argument you have ever had with a spouse or significant other? Easy. We are in the process of remodeling the kitchen, and we argued over the color of the countertop. I found a countertop called “Banana Yellow,” my wife found one that was a green marble. We were both arguing because she likes yellow, so I thought she would be happy with it; she knows I think the green marble would go better with our cherry cabinets. We were both fighting for what the other wanted, not for what we want.
- If you could be any Muppet, which one would you be and why? I already am one…Beaker. I am a misunderstood scientist that no one understands.
- Monster movies, yes or no? Yes…and no. I like the old monster movies: Frankenstein, Dracula, the Werwolf. You knew good vs bad, and the movies had storylines behind them. The new group? Forget it. Kids falling in love with the monsters? Vampires that walk during the day? Dumb.
- What was the worst vacation you have ever taken? No doubt. Williamsburg, Va. My wife and I went back in the 70’s and it was a great place to learn about colonial times. We took our kids to enjoy it in the 90’s, it’s a money trap now, would never go back again.
- Do you have a favorite bad movie? Sadly, yes. Beach Blanket Bingo. It was bad from beginning to end. But there is something about Annette Funicello…
My 10 questions for the next people:
- What do you do to unwind from the problems of the day?
- You’re given a time machine that can make only one trip, when would you go, and why?
- Has Earth been visited by aliens?
- What was your favorite thing to do as a kid?
- You can solve one of the world’s problems…which one?
- What is your favorite book, that one that you could read over and over and never be bored?
- Stuck on a desert island, what one food would you want?
- Do you have an unrequited love?
- What was your favorite subject in K-12?
- Whom would you want to have lunch with?
My nominees (not everyone posts the number of followers, so apologies if some have more than 200, but they are among my favorites):
- Fourth Generation Farm Girl
- Photography Geek 123
- Spring of India
- The Faithful Fool
- Davyd’s Blog
- 20/20 Hines Sight
- Born Again Jen
- Sarah’s Thoughts on Science, Spirituality, and Practicality
- Stone City Blog